The role of data in AI: Data science, Big data and Data mining
Data Science pursues the goal to gain knowledge from data. Data Science covers the entire “data value chain”: from collection and processing to modelling.
Big Data is characterized by the following five features:
- the magnitude of data to be processed is very large (volume)
- the diversity of data types and sources (variety),
- the speed at which they occur (velocity)
- the valuable data must be filtered out (value)
- the uncertainty regarding the quality of the data (veracity).
Data Mining: Use of statistical or machine learning methods to detect new relationships and patterns in a data set. The aim is, for example, to make recommendations for decisions or make predictions.
WEBSITE: Lernende Systeme
- Description: German Platform for Artificial intelligence
- Link: https://www.plattform-lernende-systeme.de/glossar.html
- [DE] [ENG]
WEBSITE: Information about Big Data from the European Commission
- Description: General Information about Big Data, Research Projects and Events
- Link: https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/big-data
LEARNING ACTIVITY: Data bias in AI
- Description: Idea for a lesson about data bias in AI
- Link: https://www.digitaltechnologieshub.edu.au/teachers/lesson-ideas/ai-lesson-plans/data-bias-in-ai/
WEBSITE + VIDEO: Big Data and AI
- Description: Information about Big Data and AI in general and the relevance for development cooperation.
- Video-link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hSGvAzs-iQ
- [DE] [SUB ENG]
- Website-link: https://toolkit-digitalisierung.de/en/practice/smart-development-approaches-en/bigdata-und-ki/
- [DE] [ENG]
WEB ARTICLE: What is Big Data and What Artificial Intelligence Can Do?
- Link: https://towardsdatascience.com/what-is-big-data-and-what-artificial-intelligence-can-do-d3f1d14b84ce